- 4 large potatoes ( depending on the amount you want)
- 2 tomato tins
- rosemary seasoning (basil if you prefer)
- mushrooms ( you can choose leave these if you wish )
- salt (reduce the amount you use for any health reasons)
- balsamic vinegar
- chili powder
- unsalted butter
- mince meat of your choice ( i chose lamb mince)
- 1 large onion
- vegetable oil
- oven proof dish
- two large pots
1) Firstly chop up your onion into thin slices, then place them into a large pot with a dash of vegetable oil.
2) You should allow your onions to cook for 5-10 minutes on medium heat, making sure to check them so that they do not burn. Your looking for a light brown shade as well as translucent to know they are cooked and softened.
3) Once your onions are nicely cooked pop in your mince meat.
4) You should then allow your meat to cook for 20-30 minutes depending on your chosen meat. Keeping it on high heat so that the water drys up, and mix so it does not burn!
5) Once your meat is cooked ( water has dried and nicely browned as shown above (make sure you taste the meat to check if it is cooked properly), then you can begin to chop up your mushrooms ( you can use what ever veg you like as long as you cut them thinly so they cook fast, or even boil them before hand then add them in). reduce the heat
6) Then add your sweetcorn and peas in with the meat and mushrooms, cook for 5 minutes till they are soft, and hot.
7) Now to add the seasoning, add the tomatoes, season with pepper, sprinkle some chili ( can keep this step out if you wish) , half a tea spoon of rosemary , four large teas spoons of balsamic vinegar along with a pinch of salt ( you can add depending on your taste) and mix well. ) left this to cook for 15- 20 minutes, with the lid on , and remember to stir so that the flavors blend well the color should become a deep red, taste if you need to add anything.
8) While your sauce cooks, put your potatoes into a pot with water until they are covered, cook on high heat for 30 minutes all depending on the type and size of the potatoes. Until they are soft. Once your potatoes are cooked you can mash them up, add in a splash of milk and two table spoons of butter, as well as a pinch of salt and pepper for taste.
9) Once your sauce has become deep red as shown below, you can pop the sauce at the bottom of the oven proof dish then add your mash on top, spreading it with a spoon ( dip the spoon in water so it does not stick to the mash) then with a fork add the lines for the finishing touch. Add the dish to the oven for 10 minutes on medium heat just to allow the mash to brown slightly.